Wednesday, August 18, 2010

95% Sure, I think

Gosh, I can't believe I forgot to tell the story of the week last week. It was like THE most exciting thing that has happened in like two weeks.

So, last Wednesday night, (wasn't that the night we killed the snake?) actually early Thursday morning, I heard my dog and the next door neighbors dogs tearing it up outside. Which in turn, woke up S.B. because it was right next to her window. As I am getting out of the bed at 4:05 a.m. I told myself that I needed to  put my glasses on. No, I argued, I could make it to their room with my eyes closed, in the dark. So, I didn't put my glasses on. Now, I am very blind without my glasses. I am near sighted, but I can't read anything that is a foot away from me without my glasses. I make it back there to get S.B. and on my way back, I decide to look out the window in the front of the house, to see if  see something. (yeah, right!) When I peek out my front window (it's a big window) I SWEAR I see someone standing at the truck,-medium build, hat on, white male, it looked like- and the back passenger side door was open. They were standing in front of the door that was open. Between the door that was open, and the side view mirror.  So, of course I go to my room, and get my glasses and look out my window, which is right in front the truck. The only thing I see is the door still open. So, I cautiously nudge David and say "Hey David, I think someone has been in the truck. The door is open." Of course, he jumps up and runs over to the window.  All the while, I am saying "Meet me in the hall.  Just meet me in the hall." And he thinks I am saying "They are in the hall. They are in the hall". So, he comes running out to the hall, and knocks his leg on the cedar chest at the end of our bed. After he realizes that there is no one in the hall, he is calm.
He goes and looks out the window, and looks and looks and looks. I finally ask him if he wants to call the law. Sure, he says. Look up the number. OKAY-since I can't turn any lights on, that should be easy. So, I say why don't you call 911. Looking back, I realize that was a stupid thing to suggest. But, hey, at least I had some sort of valid reason. He called. They came, and looked all around the house. All the while, we were standing outside propped up on his car talking. The conversation is like this:

David: "Are you sure you seen someone?"
Me: "Of course, I am sure. I mean, as sure as someone who didn't have their glasses on. But, pretty sure."
Me: " Well, C. came outside...no that was before you got home, so you would have seen the door open, right?"
David: "Well, L. did come out to get his wife (which is a big stuffed unicorn, and that's another story) out of the truck.  Do you think he left it open?"
Me: "Ok. Let me try to explain this to the Officer when he comes back. Officer, we were sorry to bother you. But, my nine year old son came out here to get his wife out of the truck and left the door open. We hope you understand.  You really think that's gonna work? Anyway, I think I seen somebody. Really, I do."
David: "OK"

The two officers came back from searching all around our barn and asked us if anything was missing out of the truck. No, we responded, and if there is anything, we probably wouldn't know for at least another week. He went over to look at the truck. "So, does it look like someone went through your truck?" "Ummmm, no, that's what it looks like all the time."

Those officers were happy to have something to do. They made their plans to ride here and up there and all over looking for the person that might or might not have been in our driveway.
Later, after they left and we got back into bed. David asked me, "Ok. On a scale of 1 to 10. 1 being not sure at all and 10 being 100%, how sure were you that you seen someone?"
Me: "About a 6. Goodnight."

No comments:

Post a Comment